THE UNITED NATIONS DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME CENTRE FOR TECHNOLOGY, INNOVATION AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT ANNOUNCES THE COVID-19 DETECT AND PROTECT CHALLENGE.
The UNDP is calling on Hackster’s global community to support developing countries through the sharing and transfer of open source technology. This challenge has three priority actions:
- Design replicable, low-cost tools and resources to aid viral detection
- Flatten the curve in communities with preventive solutions
- Reduce the disease’s impact on the economies of these vulnerable areas
This extraordinary global situation demands a global response. As an answer, the UNDP Global Centre for Technology, Innovation, and Sustainable Development and Hackster.io are joining forces with the world’s brightest technology companies. We are calling on hardware and software developers, product designers, scientists, hackers, makers, and innovators to come together to work for those who will be hardest hit by this pandemic.
As COVID-19 has shown, challenge and crisis cross borders – impacting everywhere on Earth. However, innovation and ingenuity are also not constrained by geography. The COVID-19 Detect and Protect Challenge is an opportunity to find and apply the best and brightest of humanity, wherever it may be found.
- The deadline for entries is June 30th and will be extended only if necessary.
- Qualified submissions will be fully shared and open throughout the contest.
- Project teams are welcomed and not limited to any number.
- We are seeking open source ideas that are easy to use, build, replicated, and iterated.
- Hackster and UNDP will work with at-risk communities to deliver the hardware, services, tools, materials, and funding they need to bring some of the best ideas to life.