ACTING President, Constantine Chiwenga has issued a condolence message assuring the bereaved families of government support following Saturday’s tragic accident along the Harare Mutare Highway which has so far claimed 16 lives.
In a statement, Chiwenga bemoaned the loss urging road users to exercise extreme caution in order to avoid such “needless and senseless” occurrences.
“I wish to extend sincere condolences to the bereaved families for losing their beloved ones in this traffic accident. May they take comfort from our prayers, and be rest assured that government will support them during this period of deep grief,” he said.
The acting president said his government has learnt about the development with a great sense of shock and sadness that the events of Saturday evening left 16 people dead in a tragic accident involving a bus and a haulage truck along the Harare – Mutare Highway.
“Life is precious and losing in circumstances that are avoidable is not only extremely painful and heartbreaking but also needless and senseless,” he said.
Chiwenga said the latest bus accident brings to the fore government’s call to road users and those involved with public transportation to respect life and ensure maximum safety.
The accident comes shortly after a total of 111 people died and 664 others were injured in 1 590 road traffic accidents that were recorded between December 15 and 30 last year.
The figure registered a slight decrease from the 120 people who died and 675 people that were injured in 1 405 road accidents recorded last year.
Zimbabwe Republic Police attributed most of these accidents to human error such as speeding, overtaking errors, misjudgement, inattention and drunken driving.
In a statement, chief police spokesperson Senior Assistant Commissioner Charity Charamba said in some accidents were hit-and-runs with pedestrians.
Others were head-on collisions and side swipes which contributed to most fatalities during the festive season.